Thursday 13 November 2014

Italian Lemons, Japanese Cherries and Opel Fruits


It occurs to me of late that Citroen is basically French for lemon which means in effect the classic I drive is car trade parlance for a dodgy motor.  That got me thinking.  Is this the only lemon Ive ever owned?  Im afraid not, far from it in fact. Try this: get a piece of paper and write down the make and model of every car youve ever owned.  For some that might be quite a list but do your best and hopefully youll get them all.  Now review your work.  Ask yourself, if I were to show this list to a friend, to which cars would they say wow! and over which would they exclaim whoaa? By way of a confessional mines an indifferent list from start to finish with nothing too exotic or expensive on it and in compiling it confirmed my early car purchases were, without exception, based on cost, practicality and extreme need i.e. I required a car urgently! As such, I cared little for looks, reputation, or street cred if it was cheap to insure and didnt require too much fettling I was happy with it.

When I share what these vehicles were you'll find theres more than a few 'clunkers' that will almost certainly make you go urrrgh I suspect. In fact, reviewing the list and looking up how the cars are now perceived, it seems I had a spectacularly bad taste in transport.  I will reveal a few of these monstrosities momentarily but I have to say despite whats been written about some of them, my memories are quite different and my ability to source a car that was mainly reliable, did the job of getting me from A to B, could actually pass an MOT (more than once) and didnt cost the earth to maintain was, on the whole, quite good. And, when my cars did need some mechanical work doing, in many cases I could it myself mainly because my chosen motors were so rudimentary.  So now its time to hold your breath, clench your buttocks and prepare yourself for the list. Here goes

Morris Ital 1.3 (T Reg):  Oooh what a start!  Its been voted the second worst car ever made by some polls (after the Austin Allegro).  Out-dated when it was launched and based on ancient platforms including the Morris Minor this was a sheep in a more rubbish sheeps clothing.  It was in effect a Morris Marina pimped up by sticking bits of plastic to it in an attempt to give it an Italian style make over.  It fooled nobody and didnt last long either commercially or physically as they rusted faster than Usain Bolt running over hot coals. Paradoxically, given that most quickly became oxidised cubes of scrap, they are now quite rare as classic cars go. Having said all that, I quite liked my denim blue Ital. It cost about £200 and had twelve months ticket. Although I didnt yet have any frame of reference on the bad car scale I found it was largely reliable, great fun to chuck around (as it was rear-wheel drive), was roomy and if you didnt look to closely, not a bad looking motor.  I actually did a lot of untutored work on this car, referencing a Haynes manual and buying parts from scrap yards I found fitting them myself was both satisfying and great fun. Of course, when the rust bug really got a hold it was time to move on and I swapped it for a

Datsun Cherry 1.3 Pulsar (W Reg):  Arrgh, not a classic Datsun, great engine but terrible bodywork?  Correct, and this one, in rust flecked crimson, was a total shed which lasted about 6 months until the MOT ran out and with no prospect of a cheap pass it had to go. But, after a few months on the bus, I desperately needed a car again so decided to get a

Datsun Cherry 1.3 Pulsar (X Reg):   Arrgh, yet another classic Datsun, great engine but terrible bodywork?  Correct you read it right. I was so taken with my first one I got another.  Better basic quality its true but exactly the same sleek looking car, in rust flecked crimson, but this time with a radio! And it served me well.  OK, it had a bit of duct tape on the roof covering a hole where the metal was very badly oxidised.  And yes, it has weird splodges of rust in random places which no-one could explain why that had happened but, overall, l thought this car was great.  It could run on unleaded petrol which was cheaper than the still available leaded fuel. It went pretty fast too and as a hatchback was pretty handy for the many home moves I made at the time.  It was only a year or so after this was made that Datsun became Nissan and we all know that went pretty well.  I like to think of myself as prescient in this regard; recognising quality car manufacturers by buying their early rubbish cars its a talent Im sure youll agree. Eventually, after a couple of years of pretty hard service the Datsun was still going strong and, remarkably, still had some value when I sold it in favour of a

Opel Kadett D 1.2 (Y Reg):  Basically a Vauxhall Astra but badged with the Opel lightning flash emblem so it was a weird Anglo-German hybrid? This lurid green example wasnt even a three-door hatchback having instead a boot which I think was relatively rare. Lets overlook the fact that it almost immediately needed a new clutch or that in the wet it was spectacularly difficult to start. I soon got used to it more or less. It was, however, the car that gave me the most stressful breakdown I ever had. One wet morning after a lumpy start it decided to give up the ghost, in driving rain, during the rush hour, right in the middle of the Parrs Wood intersection with the A34 with no prospect of moving anytime soon.  Fully suited and booted I had to physically push/steer it to the safest spot I could find amidst the tooting cars and impatient drivers I was blocking (none of whom offered to help). It lived to fight another day but eventually the persistent oil leak and ever-more reluctance to start meant I decided to send it to the great scrap yard in the sky and in the process doomed myself to a yet another year on the bus. Until I saved up and got a

Ford Fiesta 1.0 Mk 2 (B reg):  I shouldnt include this one really given that its actually the best car I ever owned and gave me no problems whatsoever. It was nippy, practical, reliable and cheap to maintain I still miss it in fact. Even though I moved up to BMWs thereafter it remains to me the zenith of great motoring where simplicity, good design and no nonsense engineering offer the driver everything they could possibly need in a small but perfectly formed package.


So thats it.  My subsequent Beamers have been fine and of course I now own a classic but paradoxically, now that I regularly service my cars (and have up to date MOTs) I find better quality cars mean more expensive parts and higher insurance premiums.  I would say, therefore, my cars cost me much more now than these early lemons yet do basically the same job. Thats food for thought that is.  Lemonade anyone?

First published H&H CVC Magazine 2012. Copyright Anthony Boe 2014 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment